A Sustainable Protein Company
We are proud of our roots, which we can trace back over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we work to reconnect families with the goodness of food. We are helping to transform the world’s food system so that it can survive, and thrive, for generations to come.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong, values-based culture, where dedicated employees take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, our customers and our communities. Our 11,500 employees thrive in an engaging, open and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and responsibility. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
HR/HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR - HANOVER
1 YEAR CONTRACT
Reporting to the Hatchery Manager, the incumbent will provide leadership and support in the plant as it relates to the Human Resources/Health and Safety function for the plant’s hourly and salaried employees. The incumbent will focus, specifically in the areas of Health, Safety and Labour Relations and will be the single point of contact for labour, employee relations and health & safety issues.
The ideal candidate will be someone who thrives on working in a stimulating, fast paced environment with flexible working hours.
A SNAP SHOT OF SOME OF THE EXCITING THINGS YOU WILL DO:
• Health and Safety policy creation, revision and implementation
• Reviews and follows up with supervisors to ensure timeliness, appropriateness of accident investigations and follow through on corrective action and root cause analysis.
• Provide guidance and/or training to supervisory personnel on H&S policies, attendance management, conflict resolution, discipline and discharge, legislation, company policies, etc.
• Investigate all harassment issues/human rights claims and advise management accordingly.
• Monthly analysis of accidents and injuries and compilation of monthly safety reports including the updating of period reports, statistical data and the Health and Safety MCR
• Administration of Health and Safety forms including: Form 7, correspondence to WCB regarding claims and back to work programs, modified logs & tracking sheet.
• Preparation of monthly Health & Safety meeting talks for Supervisors and hourly representatives.
• Coaches and advises front line supervisors and managers in the handling of concerns and complaints. Ensures that all issues are properly investigated, and that any decision taken is consistent with the Employee Handbook and past practice.
• Champions all OHS Management System Audits
• Co-Chairs the Joint Health & Safety Committee and all related initiatives
• Coordinates OHS training with external vendors as well as developing and delivering in-house OHS Training
• Assist the Supervisors in the handling of Dispute Resolution meetings.
• Research and prepare documentation for Dispute Resolution, hearings, tribunals, etc.
• Monitors trends and implements initiatives to maximize employee morale, performance, and retention.
• Ensures that all the correct procedures are followed with regard to manpower moves and changes.
• Reinforces all Leadership Edge initiatives.
• Utilize human capital management systems (i.e. SAP, KRONOS) to maintain employee information as it relates to adding new hires, termination, job changes, and rate adjustments etc. for all hourly employees.
• Compile monthly reports for plant and corporate office use
• Other duties as assigned
WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER YOU:
• Career development opportunities. Your career will not stop at this role, this is just the beginning
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
• Grade 12 with preference to post secondary education directly related to Occupational Health and Safety or Human Resources with a minimum of 3 years’ related experience in a manufacturing or process industry,
• Must have strong alignment with the Maple Leaf values
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates (or a willingness to obtain same within one year of hire as a condition of employment),
• Possess or be in the process of obtaining a CRSP or CHRP designation,
• Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Seeks out and applies best practices as solutions to correct deficiencies,
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
• Continues to examine learning opportunities in safety and for personal growth,
• Embraces the Maple Leaf Leadership Edge Core Values to create superior shareholder value.
• Post secondary education preferred
• Six Sigma training or project participation would be an asset
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.