A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
• Do what’s right
• Deliver winning results
• Build collaborative teams
• Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
• Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
• Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Senior Production Supervisor – Saskatoon
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Senior Production Supervisor will be responsible for a cross-functional team within the Ready-to-Eat department. Initially this role will be responsible for supporting a successful start-up. Post start-up this role will be accountable for ensuring lines are running effectively and optimally within their area with a trained team in place at all times.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operations and cost improvements in the RTE area.
• Continuously seeks ways to improve manufacturing operational results and efficiencies while meeting customer expectations and minimizing waste.
• Develops a cohesive, competent Production Supervisor group and plans for development and succession planning.
• Develops employees through training and coaching, providing clear roles and consistent support and feedback for all employees.
• Foster and maintain positive union and employee relations environment by treating all employees with respect, providing timely feedback and grievance resolution.
• Holds employees accountable and drives performance through key metrics that are tied back to the vision.
• Develops and drives a strong safety culture (H&S and Food Safety).
• Supports Marketing/Sales with respect to new and existing product development initiatives.
• Provide oversight and decision making to support the Production Manager
• Understand and work with state-of-the-art automation.
• Optimize and ensure execution of weekly and monthly production schedules.
• Audits processes: People System, FSQA, Reliability predictive practices.
• Conduct weekly team meetings to review KPIs, FSQA, People, Reliability and CI.
• Applies knowledge and ensures compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Health & Safety and other legislative bodies that impact plant performance.
• Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
What we have to offer you:
• Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
• Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
• Post-secondary education or equivalent by having completed a recognized food processing, engineering technology, or business management program
• 5+ years of supervisory experience in a unionized, manufacturing environment.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Strong leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
• Ability to work as a team with all functional areas to support a common goal.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible