A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
• Do what’s right
• Deliver winning results
• Build collaborative teams
• Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
• Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
• Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Manager, Veterinary Services and Quality Assurance - Edmonton
Providing veterinary services, quality assurance, technical support and leadership to all aspects of live operations and industry. This is done through maintaining an approved veterinary practice entity for the provision of veterinary services and by managing the quality assurance, lab, animal health and welfare and industry teams.
- Provide technical services and direction for poultry health and quality assurance programs. Included are: preventative medicine, diagnostic procedures, vaccination program, animal welfare and auditing programs, antibiotic strategies, laboratory operations, ISO and HACCP protocols, and food safety enhancement programs.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide leadership and direction for bird husbandry.
- Provide direction for hatchability and incubation problems.
- Provide technical direction for chick health and quality with respect to:
- Good maternal antibody protection
- Technical support for specialized programs i.e. RWA, Feed Programs, Genetics, Disease Prevention Protocols and Pathogen Reduction Programs.
- Free of contamination (Bacteria/Mold)
- Maximizing livability
- Growing programs with producers
- Leadership in developing on farm protocols to support trials of products for mitigation of pathogens. Analysis of trial results to effectively develop tool kit.
- Work with catching crews and transport providers to improve results at plant level.
- Technical leadership on bio-security programs and FAD response
- To assist in the development of the required nutritional feed programs
- To provide technical counsel and assistance to the Alberta Maple Leaf Live Ops facilities.
- To provide technical training as required.
- To support MLF initiatives including animal welfare, antimicrobial use, and food safety.
- To support Maple Leaf FS/QA team on food safety initiatives affecting live operations.
- To provide oversight to third party veterinary services serving Ontario producers.
- Customer service
- Chick Customer Complaint Process
- Responsible for the direction of Laboratory Services in Hanover
- Field visits
- Post mortem services as required
- Technical input and leadership at various industry committees such as Alberta Hatching Egg Producers, Alberta Hatchery Association, Veterinary Drug Directorate, Western Association of Poultry Veterinarians and Canadian Poultry Operations Technical Committee (CPEPC). Various time requirements dependent on issues arising.
- Management of Quality Assurance, HACCP and Veterinary requirements at AB locations.
- Work on farm and laboratory environment.
What we have to offer you:
• Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
• Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Veterinary services are available to Maple Leaf-associated producers and facilities within the regulatory requirements in the province of Alberta.
- Maple Leaf has a voice in industry issues from a technical aspect.
- Our Quality Assurance and Veterinary Programs are leading in the industry
- Improving hatchability
- Quality results
- Breeder performance
- Troubleshooting protocols
- Customer service levels are maintained effectively.
- Solid bio-security and FAD programs in place for Maple Leaf and input into industry.
- Proactive food safety programs developed and implemented influencing industry overall.
- Proactive approach to antibiotic use, preventing antibiotic resistance.
- Support for marketing initiatives such as Raised without Antibiotic, genetics initiatives, bird health, feed programs, and other new initiatives.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine; eligible for licensure in the appropriate province
- Poultry experience and/or specialization, ACPV status
- Supervisory experience
- Laboratory experience
- Good working knowledge of hatchery, farm management, ISO, and HACCP
- Ability to work effectively with CFIA and Veterinary Drug Directorate regulators
- Cross functional capabilities i.e. Pullet growing, breeder operations, hatchery, sales and procurement, and senior management.
- Professional, objective, action oriented, team player
- Ability to manage multiple locations and priorities
- Self-driven with excellent problem solving ability
- Advanced computer skills required
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible