Position Title: Programs Specialist, FSQA (12 month contract)
Company: Maple Leaf Foods
Department: Food Safety & Quality Assurance
Date Posted: 2019-08-12 05:53:06
Location: Mississauga - ON
Reference No.: 12642958
Emp. Type: Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Programs Specialist, FSQA – Mississauga (12 Month Contract)
This role includes a variety of technical and administrative activities related to Maple Leaf Foods Co manufacturers. The position is responsible for executing, documenting, and improving the FSQA programs outlined for our co manufacturers. This individual is accountable for delivering consistent, positive and collaborative support to the department and stakeholders.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Manage FSQA communication with Co manufacturers on various issues. Example: Food safety and quality performance reviews, provides feedback for changes to product specifications, conducts and follows up on Food safety and Quality investigations, coordinates return of complaint samples meeting CFIA and USDA regulations.
- Manage communication within other Maple Leaf functional departments on various issues.
- Provide a food safety perspective recommendation for product dispositions when specifications are not met.
- Customer and Consumer Complaints- holding co man's accountable to ensure responses are timely, effective to address corrective actions. Approving and closing notifications in SAP.
- Tracking and Trending of complaint results
Hold and Release
- Manage all co manufacturers Hold and release of products where food safety and quality may be compromised.
- Apply SAP hold and release to impacted batches for products that are at any or all MLF Distribution Centers.
- Assist in the coordination of product returns.
SAP RD Process
- Primary Co man ECR FSQA approver- collect information for regulatory affairs, review and edit as needed co man specifications for accuracy and completeness, Issue co man specifications as per ECR process.
- Final approver for in house Carlisle shipper labels and ECR closure.
What we have to offer you:
- On site product inspection at MLF DC’s where Food safety and quality is in question.
- Verify that the co man specification is being followed and accurately reflects the manufacturing process.
- Administrative duties such as take meeting minutes, coordinate meetings, request and provide updated co manufacturer documents, etc.
- Support others in the FSQA department and other functional groups as needed.
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Post-secondary education
- 5 + Food manufacturing facility experience
- Strong working knowledge of HACCP, Food safety and quality programs
- GFSI (BRC, SQF, FSSC etc) working knowledge
- Proficiency in SAP and SAP RD programs
- High Level of proficiency in Microsoft office programs, advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated use of facts in decision making.
- Knowledge and experience with root cause tools and skills
- Detailed oriented, highly organized and skilled at managing multiple deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team
- Demonstrated initiative and continuous process improvement
- Able to prepare and deliver technical information in a report format
- The ability to present technical information to a larger audience
- CFIA, USDA, FDA Regulatory knowledge is an asset
- French language is an asset
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.