Position Title: Finance Analyst
Company: Maple Leaf Foods
Date Posted: 2019-12-02 06:03:25
Location: Hamilton - ON
Reference No.: 12983890
Emp. Type: Full Time
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
- Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
The Financial Analyst (FA) assists in coordinating the financial reporting and analysis activities in the Heritage operation. This position works closes with operations to accurately reflect the results, ensure internal controls are in place and monitored and provide expertise and support.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Reporting of the Weekly Vitals and Period End P&L Report
- Investigate variances, determine root causes, and recommend actions to minimize.
- Provide overhead management support to assigned Budget Manager and Finance Manager.
- Understand driving activities and provide analytics to assist management. Put controls in place to minimize variances and meet with stakeholders to review monthly results
- Assist in the annual overhead budgeting process.
- Play a key role in key tasks of the period end close process.
- Complete analysis and reporting on balance sheet accounts relating to Operations and ensure controls are in place, and items are accounted for.
- Collaborate with Finance Manager on special projects as assigned.
- Provide coverage for Finance Team Members as required.
- Design, test, implement and maintain procedures
- Provide leadership in formulating reports (both recurring and ad-hoc) which highlight opportunities and our progress in minimizing costs.
- Provide analytical support to the Hamilton facility.
- Be active and participate in Six Sigma projects. Strive to apply Six Sigma methodology to the FA function
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-secondary education in an Accounting program
- Proficiency with MS Office, especially Excel and MS Access
- Knowledge of SAP or an ERP environment is an asset
- The ability to work cross-functionally
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong leadership and team building skills
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.