Position Title: Microbial/Chemical Technologist - 6 Month Contract
Company: Maple Leaf Foods
Department: Food Safety & Quality Assurance
Date Posted: 2020-01-14 07:35:03
Location: Brandon - MB
Reference No.: 13110223
Emp. Type: Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Food Safety and Quality Assurance Microbial Chemical Technologist (6 Month Term) – Brandon, MB
The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Microbial Chemical Technologist is responsible for microbiology and chemistry sampling and testing in order to monitor plant performance against predetermined targets.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Primarily responsible for conducting microbiological and chemical testing. Will be cross-trained in all aspects of technical services
• Data entry in a computer database and analysis using statistical software
• Shelf-life Testing – Microbial and organoleptic testing of various products
• Chemistry – Sampling and testing of multiple products including but not limited to chemical lean analysis, drug residue, edible rendering, protein, bone fragment and water testing
• Microbiology – Sampling and testing of various Food Safety Performance Measures throughout the plant
• Cleaning of glassware and media preparation
• Maintenance and calibration of various laboratory equipment
• Assist with maintaining ongoing compliance with food safety programs
• Assist in plant projects and corporate initiatives
• Other duties as required
What we have to offer you:
• Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
• Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
• Degree/Diploma from a recognized university or college in a related scientific discipline preferred (microbiology, chemistry, food science) and/or equivalent related experience
• Strong understanding of Sanitation, SOPs, Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMP’s
• Computer proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Team player with strong interpersonal skills
• Must be open and flexible to change, take initiative, and work with minimal supervision
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible